Even the most posture-aware of us can begin to slouch after sitting at a desk all day. Here’s a quick stretching exercise to help you regain your height.
- Stand up with your feet about shoulder width apart
- Lift your right hand in front of your body, following a line up the center of your torso (the dance teacher I learned this exercise from made this look very graceful)
- Continue lifting your hand until your right arm is fully extended
- Push your right foot into the floor and your right hand toward the ceiling, imagining that the line from your right heel to your right hand is a pole that the rest of your body is hanging from
- Gently let your arm fall back to your side
- Repeat on your left side
As you do this exercise, picture your hips and your rib cage moving away from each other as you lift your arm. Repeat the whole sequence 3-5 times. Then enjoy your new, longer torso.
And try to keep that feeling of length and openness as you sit at your desk. In fact, you can do a quick version of this exercise without even standing up – just push your right hip into your chair and raise your right arm and then repeat on the left side.